If you want to avoid fibrosis and cirrhosis (end-stage, advanced scarring of the liver), you need to start changing your eating habits. Don’t worry if you have a fatty liver – it’s not the end of your life!
By simply changing the way you cook and eat, you will be able to reverse the effects of a lifetime of bad eating habits. Liver health starts with what we eat.
Below are some recipes to start changing your life:
Tofu and Broccoli:
Ingredients: 3 cloves minced garlic, 1 teaspoon honey, 1 teaspoon chilli sauce or chilli oil, 1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce, 1 teaspoon cornstarch, 1 US cup chicken stock, ½ cup fresh scallions, ½ cup chopped mushrooms, 2 teaspoons sesame oil, 1/3 cup ginger dressing, ½ kilogram tofu (firm)
- Marinate ½ pound firm tofu in a nonreactive bowl with 1/3 cup ginger dressing. Marinate the tofu for half an hour.
- After half an hour, eliminate the firm tofu, but do not throw away the marinade.
- Pour 2 tsp. of sesame oil into a cast iron pan, medium-high. Cook the sliced mushrooms and chopped broccoli (you’ll only need the florets) by sautéing the ingredients, constantly stirring, for six minutes or until tender.
- Mix the remaining ingredients in the same bowl where the tofu was marinated.
- Place the firm tofu in the pan and pour the new mixture over the firm tofu.
- Boil all the ingredients, including the broccoli, for four minutes. Whisk the mixture gently, but be careful not to disturb the tofu too much.
- Serve with a bowl of brown or white rice (limit serving size to ½ cup per meal).
Homemade salmon patties:
Ingredients: 1/3 cup chopped fresh spring onions, 5 lettuce leaves, 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, 1 piece egg, ½ kilogram fresh salmon (skinless and cut into medium-sized pieces), 1 teaspoon curry paste, 1 pepper (cut into thin strips), 2 cloves of garlic (finely chopped), 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (204 degrees Celsius).
- In a food processor, mix chopped onion, chopped garlic, chopped pepper and curry paste. Mix until all the ingredients are blended until smooth.
- When the first set of ingredients is nicely combined in the food processor, add the sliced salmon, whole egg and chopped cilantro. Process the next set of ingredients until you have a smooth consistency.
- Use a spatula and a cup to get half-cup portions of the patty mixture. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake the patties properly for a quarter of an hour.
- Place every patty on a lettuce leaf before serving. We can serve with wholemeal buns.